It is so easy to become absorbed in the excitement of property hunting that you forget to ask all the important questions that truly determine whether or not the property is going to suit you. Below is a checklist that you should consider when viewing a property.
- Is the exterior of the property in good condition? (Windows/Doors/Gates/Garden/Waste Areas/Mailbox)
- Does the property have secure locks or an alarm system?
- Is there a private or shared rear garden?
- Are drainage passage ways sufficiently clear?
- Is the property in good condition? (Walls/Doors/Flooring/Lighting/Door Frames and skirting boards)
- Do any repairs need to be carried out?
- Are there any signs of damp/ rotting wood/ or flaking paint on seals?
- Does the property have central heating and are all radiators functioning?
- Is the property fully insulated? (double glazed windows)
- Is there any additional storage space?
- Are there any signs of faulty wiring or broken sockets?
- Are there any white goods included in the property? (Fridge/Freezer/Washing Machine/Dishwasher/Dryer)
- Are there any damaged pipes or leaky taps?
- Is there a telephone and television socket? If so how many?
- Are any minor decorations or modifications allowed within the property?
HEALTH & SAFETY
- Is there a fitted burglar alarm?
- Is there working smoke detectors?
- Are there any smoke alarms?
- Do all furnishings comply with the latest Fire Safety Regulations?
- Is there a current Gas Safety Certificate? and when is the next check due?
- How much is the full rent and what is included?
- How much deposit is required?
- Are there any other costs involved in running the property? (Service charges etc)